Science Education Center
LIGO's Science Education Center seeks to use the cutting edge science and engineering happening at LIGO to inspire the scientist in every visitor. Whether you're a teacher, student or a member of the surrounding community we are here to help you discover your inner scientist.
LIGO's Science Education Center offers fun educational activities for visitors of all ages, but we are only open to the public with advance appointments, or on our Science Saturdays. LIGO's Science Education Center conducts the following activities (click on the links for more information) - all FREE of charge.
- Science Saturdays: First saturday of each month, we have openings for people to come - but you must sign up in advance.
- School Field Trips: A limited number of field trip slots are open, for small groups.
- HomeSchool Field Trips: A limited number of field trip slots are open, for small groups.
- Community-group/Public Tours: If you are part of a community-based group, or cannot attend on a Saturday you can apply for a tour.
- School Visits: We can visit your school as well!
- Virtual Field Trips: LIGO Science Education Center now offers virtual field trips, where activities are done in your classroom as guided by staff through a virtual connection such as Zoom.
- Teacher Workshops: LIGO is very interested in helping teachers teach science, engineering, and mathematics through hands on methods. We are involved in a variety of programs with other universities and school districts, and would be happy to work with your particular group to conduct a teacher workshop!