Image Use Policy
Unless otherwise noted, images and video on Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) public web sites (public sites ending with either a caltech.edu or mit.edu address) may be used for any purpose without prior permission, subject to the special cases noted below. Publishers who wish to have authorization may print this page and retain it for their records; LIGO does not issue image permissions on an image by image basis.
By electing to download the material from this web site the user agrees:
- that neither Caltech (for caltech.edu) nor MIT (for mit.edu) make any representations or warranties with respect to ownership of copyrights in the images, and do not represent others who may claim to be authors or owners of copyright of any of the images, and make no warranties as to the quality of the images. Neither Caltech nor MIT shall be responsible for any loss or expenses resulting from the use of the images, and you release and hold Caltech and MIT harmless from all liability arising from such use.
- to use a credit line in connection with images. Unless otherwise noted in the caption information for an image, the credit line should be "Courtesy Caltech/MIT/LIGO Laboratory".
- that the endorsement of any product or service by Caltech, MIT, LIGO, or the National Science Foundation (NSF) must neither be claimed nor implied.
- If an image includes an identifiable person, using the image for commercial purposes may infringe that person's right of privacy or publicity, and permission should be obtained from the person. For more information, contact the LIGO Information at +1.626.395.3064.
- Caltech and/or MIT contractors and vendors who wish to use LIGO images in advertising or public relation materials should direct requests to Caltech Media Relations Office, telephone +1.626.395.3226.
- Some image and video materials on LIGO public web sites may be owned by organizations other than Caltech or MIT. These owners have agreed to make their images and video available for journalistic, educational, and personal uses, but restrictions are placed on commercial uses. To obtain permission for commercial use, contact the copyright owner listed in each image caption and/or credit. Ownership of images and video by parties other than Caltech or MIT is noted in the caption material and/or image credit with each image.