School Tours/Field Trips
Onsite field trips for grades 4-12 now available for 2022-2023
LIGO in Livingston Louisiana offers field trips on a daily basis Tuesday - Friday. LIGO's Science Education Center is a unique field trip opportunity that allows students to interact with scientists and engineers doing real science, and to experience hands on science through our interactive exhibit hall.
Time: Field trips vary in length from 2 - 3 1/2 hours. During the summer we only offer 2 hour field trips.
- 2 hour field trips consist of a tour and time visiting our exhibit hall which consists of 50 interactive science exhibits (a mini-science museum)!
- 3 - 3 1/2 hour field trips consist of the tour, exhibit hall time, classroom activity & time to eat lunch if across lunch time. Choice of classroom activities are listed in the field trip form.
Cost: There is no cost (yes, the field trip experience is FREE)
Lunches: Students/Schools & adults must bring their own lunches with them to LIGO as there are no facilities to buy lunches on-site!!!
Number of students: We can currently accomodate up to 32 students (34 people: 32 students, 2 adults) per field trip. You can request as many as three days, for a grand total of 96 students served.
- ALL ADULTS MUST BE VACCINATED, and provide proof of vaccination.
- We have limited capacity. We recommend 1 adult (teachers or chaperones) per 16 children.
- Masking will probably be required, but we provide masks. Masks must be surgical style or better (cloth masks are not acceptable).
- BUSES MUST REMAIN ON SITE DURING THE FIELD TRIP. LIGO Livingston is in a remote location & we are sensitive to vibrations, therefore for the safety of the children and for in order to keep LIGO's instrument working well, buses MUST remain on-site at LIGO while the school-children are at LIGO.
- Fill out a field trip form. The earlier you fill it out the better! LIGO's field trip spots fill up quickly
For current availability check out this calendar. Please note that the calendar is just a guide - as it does not reflect the most recently booked dates.
When filling out the field trip form use the comment box if you need to let us know something, or want to ask us something!