On the first Saturday of every month from 10 AM - 4 PM, visitors are welcome to experience the LIGO Science Education Center's Science Saturdays. These events are FREE, and you can just drop in anytime between 10 and 4 pm. If you would like a tour, please arrive prior to 2:30 PM. We offer tours weather permitting and approximately 50 interactive science exhibits. We welcome individuals and small groups.
Note: We no longer take advance tour reservations, except for groups of 15 or greater. If you have a group of 15 or more, reserve a tour here.
Currently there are no covid restrictions regarding the tours.
Additional information about tours.
- You should plan on about an hour and a half for your visit. Guests should dress for the weather and wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Photographs are welcome. However, we kindly request that you do not record/video staff members without their permission.
- LIGO's Science Saturday is suitable for all ages.
- LIGO’s facilities are wheelchair accessible, though you will encounter a slope during the site tour itself.
- Science Saturdays require NO advance registration, or identification. They are the one day a month LIGO is open to the public.
- Each Science Saturday has a theme that the lobby exhibits reflect. These themes are tied into the science and engineering around LIGO.
During your visit you will have a chance to explore many interactive exhibits housed in LIGO's Science Education Center (LIGO SEC). You will also visit be able to see artifacts from the detector as well as a view of the interferometer's 4km-long arms reaching into the loblolly pine forest. Questions are particularly welcome on the tour.
Upcoming Science Saturdays
January 6th, Energized!
February 3rd, Attraction.
March 2nd, Math Madness
April 6th, Shadows (in honor of the April 8th eclipse)