LIGO is a research facility designed to sense the space-time vibrations of gravitational waves from the depths of space with the aid of a laser interferometer. Visit the links below to learn more about gravitational waves and LIGO’s remarkable engineering.
- LIGO - A Gravitational-Wave Interferometer Learn about interferometers, how LIGO actually works, and about the technology that makes the search for gravitational waves possible
- All About Gravitational Waves Learn more about these mysterious signals from deep space
- LIGO Technology Learn a little more about LIGO's primary hardware or engineering systems
- Global Collaboration Learn about the other observatories and institutions around the world that collaborate with LIGO scientists
- Look Deeper Want to know even more? Explore these pages for a deeper dive into LIGO's science and engineering